Monday, February 18, 2008

BEYOND: My Neighborhood

Yesterday afternoon, after the Worship Service, I got an email from PBC attendees letting me know that, after our churchwide prayer to make a difference in our community, they had two different neighbors ring their doorbell asking for help in separate situations. This couple said, "Wow...Jesus doesn't waste any time!"

They're right. Because God cares more about reaching those who live around us than we do. And, if we will position ourselves humbly before Him--available to do His will--God will use us to reach people BEYOND. In case you have forgotten, our StreetLights focus last year provided a great framework for blessing your neighbors:

L = Choose to LOVE your neighbors
I = Take INITIATIVE with your neighbors
G = Extend GRACE to your neighbors
H = Show HOSPITALITY to your neighbors
T = Make TIME for your nieghbors
S = SERVE your neighbors

Which of these nieghborhood-reaching actions have you seen bear fruit in your relationships? Which one(s) is most difficult? Why?

[Click the word "comments" below to leave your comment for this post]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time is the most challenging aspect of our neighborhood life. We are very...VERY...involved in our Community Group. But our Community Group members are not a part of my neighborhood (specifically, my street). So much of our "free time" is spent in communication and in relationship with those in our CG. Over the past 4-5 years, we have intentionally reached out to our neighbors, building relationships where we can and God has really blessed. But what I am finding is that the more I get involved on my street, the more time it requires...due to the growing relationships. Meanwhile, I am not spending less time with my CG members...in fact, we may be spending more time with them, reaching new families that come our way. The stress I feel is "letting go" of one, not completely but in some ways, to free up time for the other (life on my street). We see so much opportunity on our street, but not enough time to set aside for this.

This is not a new discussion for my wife and I. Maybe others out there feel a similar tension and can add to this conversation. Please join in.

Anonymous said...

I would add more "criticism of the American church" but it would be deleted... I think our neighbors are the ones who need us and that's where the priority should be.

Anonymous said...

ml, I don't understand your comment "it would be deleted." Please explain.

Anonymous said...

razzdaddy4 I have often felt the tension with the CG and HG not being in our neighborhood, ie on our street. As my family has reached out to our neighbors it does take time. We only have so much time. Sobering to remember we are accountable for how we use our time.

We have been blending the two recently. Our superbowl party was to our neighbors but included our HG. But there are seasons in which God brings people into our lives and removes people. The hard thing is letting Him move people in and out. I find it very hard to let go.

Sunday's prayer time at the end of service was very good. Funny thing is our family went for a bike ride only to pass a neighbor cutting up tree limbs. I said to my husband there's an opportunity to serve and connect like we prayed this morning. When we came back from the ride He went over and helped. Be careful what you pray for.....

David Daniels said...

rm - thanks for following the Lord's leading and "stepping out on a limb" (I couldn't resist!). And, yes, I agree that the tension of relationships is always there. That tension is relieved in me when I remember that all I can do is love people in the power of the Spirit. God is the one who will connect them with His heart.